During prolonged periods of stress, nutritional and botanical therapies can help you cope.
- B vitamins, magnesium, zinc, vitamin C, Siberian ginseng and Panax ginseng support adrenal gland function. Look for organic (liquid) supplement varieties in your local health food store.
- Antioxidants (found in brightly coloured fruits and vegetables; and green food blends such as GreensFirst) fight and neutralize free radicals, which are molecules that damage cells and cause heart disease, cancer and premature aging.
- Omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory, cardiovascular-enhancing and immune-regulating properties. These are helpful in preventing and controlling high cholesterol, hypertension, heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, depression, inflammatory and auto-immune disorders. Salmon, mackerel, herring, walnuts, hemp seeds, krill oil, and flaxseed oil are excellent sources of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Folate prevents age-related cognitive decline, damage to blood vessels and brain cells by lowering homocysteine levels. It also ensures DNA integrity (important as we age and when pregnant) and promotes healthy red blood cells.
What events can indicate a need for more high-folate foods?
- Mental fatigue, forgetfulness, or confusion
- General or muscular fatigue
- Gingivitis or periodontal disease
Excellent sources of folate include romaine lettuce, spinach, asparagus, turnip greens, mustard greens, calf’s liver, parsley, collard greens, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and lentils
Improving your body composition by gaining lean muscle and losing body fat can also greatly reduce emotional and physical stresses. The physical stress on your body from being too weak or carrying around too much weight can be relieved and higher self-esteem will definitely improve your reaction to stressful situations. The key is to drink 2-4 liters of water per day and to give your body nutrition consistently by eating whole organic foods 90% of the time along with a high-quality multi-vitamin and mineral complex, greens food (antioxidant) blend, and Omega-3-rich oil. It is also important to remove the factors and lifestyle elements that push you into unhealthy habits.
- Beyond Dieting by Dr. Tellier Johnson BSc., ND